Friday, 20 November 2015

Typing away - in the background

On Thursday afternoon, a friend and I were working well into the hours after the final school bell. We'd found ourselves a nice grassy spot and were working on into the late afternoon. The intention being to finish everything and to sign off on the final pieces of assessment for the year. Then, we'd have Friday off.
My friend, to those walking past, would not have been a strange sight: he was working diligently away on a Macbook. I, however, was pulling faces and tensing my eyebrows as I intently composed some text at the trusty Olivetti Lettera 32. However, as the following picture demonstrates, I eventually gave up and was pressured into some gratuitous selfie-taking.

And this is typical of my typewriter activity since May - the last time I posted here. I continue to type, to read about typewriters, and to wax lyrical and consult on all matters typospherical (to those who do themselves the misfortune of asking), but as far as blogging is concerned, I've been dismally absent.
Other things continue to keep me busy: from presenting a weekly music program on community radio 2XX here in Canberra, where all the music aims to be broadcast from vinyl, to working on plays (where my script material usually starts out stretched across a platen of some description). In my blogging absence, I was also published by The Sydney Morning Herald.
(You can read it here: How school debating has ruined politics)
Naturally, it was written on the Olivetti! And it was followed in the next day's newspaper with a piece refuting everything I said: School debating is about more than lying - it helps bring kids out of their shell. I found the whole process to be wonderfully delightful. Even when someone suggested on Twitter that I should wait for my "balls to drop before writing errant nonsense".
So, the typewriter keeps clacking here even though the blog remains silent.
To the typewritten revolution!
JL - 20.11.2015

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know your typewriter continues to be a part of your normal writing. As they were intended. Well done.