Sunday, 29 September 2013

Enter TYPEWRITER, stage left

clip_image002

“Jasper, could I please borrow your typewriter?” asked the director of Stockholm, an original musical theatre production, the proceeds of which went to charity.

“Er, which one?” I asked. “There’s just over thirty-five to choose from.”

“Oh my god.”


I was privately pleased that a picture of the typewriter I loaned – a Smith-Corona Clipper – and phone made the paper last week. The typewriter appears less than one centimetres across on page B21, but it was still there on top of the three centimetre wide table, nonetheless.

Now before any eagle-eyed readers bombard the comments section, I know, I know: the typewriter, and the phone, are of the wrong era. I offered a Remington Portable #2 that would have been right for the times, but the weightiness of the Smith-Corona was what one the director over, I suspect. Unlike the Remington, that Smith-Corona wasn’t sliding anywhere. And the phone, too, I know suggests a time more like 1967 – but there wouldn’t be too many people paying more attention to the phones and typewriters than the performance itself.

(I’m the sort of person, I’ll admit, that takes great joy in pointing out these sorts of historical inaccuracies. I’m no fun to watch movies or television that might include typewriters in them with. I can’t withhold my remarks about the sheer level of ridiculousness of having a Nakijima ALL in 1954, as much as I try to keep quiet. But with this musical I assumed that I would be one of a handful of people in Canberra that would notice the time-period problem with the typewriter.)

I did thoroughly enjoy the production, and very much liked the choreographed inclusion of Leroy Anderson’s The Typewriter.

1 comment:

  1. Nice that you could contribute a prop. I once lent a Royal 10 to a play about the writing of Gone With the Wind.

    ReplyDelete