Sunday, 3 March 2013

I’m still here; I won’t go away that easily, you know

Three weeks isn’t a long time, really. Although my blog posting almost completely ceased for all of International Typewriter Appreciation Month, I was still tapping away on Olivettis, Hermes, Imperials, Brothers and Olympias. But three weeks does feel like a long time when you look back on it, even though when you were there it was speeding past and outrageous and surely illegal speed.


My gallant plan to write and edit and research and hand in a school assignment is still in the works. A descriptive essay is coming up, and I think that it is the sort of assignment that you can still do based only on books and stuff that’s in print. Other assignments can’t be converted back to the typewriter and library days that I’m searching for. Things that involve science and technical subjects and modern (last ten years, say) history just can’t be purely based on print resources. So when I can finally free myself of the totalitarian reign of the internet on current information, I’ll let you know.


My Olivetti Lettera 32 has been coming with me every Friday to school, now. It’s all for Media and Communications which looks after The Student’s Standard, the school newspaper.

thestudentsstanadard blogger heading

Still proudly in print, but venturing into the murky waters of digital, we aim to provide a newspaper first and the digital business second. As Editor-in-Chief – a job that requires a level head and a secret stash of liquorice all-sorts – I sadly don’t spend as much time at the Lettera 32 as I would like to, as I’m always up around answering question and helping with articles. But most of my articles start out typewritten, that’s for sure.

(The “multi-media” chaps are going to interview their editor, me, about the whole enterprise, which I’ll post here when it happens)

You’re most welcome to look at some of last year’s early Student’s Standard work – complete with errors and awfully constructed sentences – here. And, just by the way, not trying to self promote any causes at all, but we’re on Facebook here and Twitter as @thesstandard.


My Corona 3 case is coming along well. I’ll be gluing it together this week. A trip to Robert Messenger’s (who blogs at oztypewriter.blogspot.com) has yielded some old typewriter case bits which will provide the hinges and perhaps the fittings. Robert was kind enough to hand over case bits and pieces for the project. The case won’t be too useful, though – it’s going to way three tonnes – but it will look nice, at least, that’s the plan.


And so I come to the end of my first post in three weeks, a post in which I proven that I will blatantly try and the get the 100 likes on Facebook we’re desperate for by the end of next week at The Student’s Standard; a post in which I have thrown being selfless to the wind; and a post in which I have proven that the internet will have to work against me a bit harder to get me off this soap box of a blog.

1 comment:

  1. I have also been somewhat absent, and typing more... odd that those are apparently inversely related.

    ReplyDelete