Thursday, 20 December 2012

Type Snob

There are some typefaces that I like and there are some that I don’t like.

Really, I don’t know why. I can’t tell you why I think Georgia is a great typeface for everything, while I think Comic Sans is so utterly awful that I’d never use it. There seems to be no rational reasoning behind these opinions of mine on fonts, typefaces. This lack of rational reasoning extends to typewriters, too, but why I don’t really know.

Let’s face it: pretty much every typeface ever found on a typewriter, throughout history, was pretty easy to read. Some were easier than others but none required a magnifying glass to decode. Then why do I like some more than others? Why do I associate certain fonts with certain tasks? They’re all easy to read and none look nasty; but still I have a stigma that associates typefaces to tasks.

Below is a collection of my own thoughts of a typeface typed in that typeface.

Image (3)

Image (5)

ANOTHER ENDNOTE:
As you will note, there is very little logic and sense applied to my different uses and appreciations of different typefaces. But what's logical about a love of letters?

 

P.S. Apologies – once again – for some awful grammar and syntax in that typecast. My woeful use of the English language can’t even be justified by a creative rush at a typewriter. There’s a reason for that: there wasn’t a creative rush.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the society against Comic Sans.

    Here. Sign the petition!
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bancomicsans

    And don't worry about the grammar. How many machines do you indeed have now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petition signed!

      I'm fairly sure that I have 21 typewriters now, that's hoping I haven't left one off my mental checklist. I refer to it as a modest collection, but as far as bedroom-storage-only collections go it's getting to be a very decent size and its modest days may soon be over.

      Delete
  2. Modest is good. I've hit my wall... I can't store any more. I think I'm at 30.

    ReplyDelete