Wednesday, 21 November 2012

The Mysterious Case of Gravity and the Lettera 32

 

IMG_4999

All looks well with this Lettera 32, a typewriter that I had brought home with the SM 9 on Sunday. But eagle eyed viewers may notice that the front blue panel – if you can call it that – isn’t quite straight. The reason? The very reason that apples land on scientists’ heads. Gravity. The result of this interesting phenomenon? This:

 IMG_5002

Yes, your eyes don’t deceive you – and no, it isn’t Photoshopped. The little tab that screws to the chassis has snapped clean off. I’m guessing someone has dropped this little machine somewhere along the line, and this, being a pressure point, just couldn’t handle it. How it is placed at the moment probably was fine for the first user, but I’m a little more concerned.

At the moment the little corner of the tab that sticks out is screwed on over the main casing to hold it in place; I don’t want to keep it like this, though. I’d like to do something about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of adhesives, bodge jobs, how to cleverly place a band-aid to hold it on, or any other method that will attach it once again?

My father’s suggestion was to have a larger washed underneath the first washer to hold it in place, but I think that there’ll have to be something that goes underneath as well. Any thoughts?

Image (14)

5 comments:

  1. You might try a strong epoxy. Here in the US there is something called JB-Weld that works in many situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are some specialty hardware shops around that stock JB-Weld here in Australia, so I'll have to keep that in mind.
      Thank you for the advice.

      Delete
  2. A Lettera 32 a piece of junk? I must have read that wrong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I write that? Surely not...

      Delete
    2. Mark,
      I believe that could not be true. Until I found one that is probably the worst piece of junk I have ever found in typewriter world.
      It was not broken or almost used, but seems that at the end of their history L32s were really crappy machines with nothing to do with their ancestors other than the external looks. I was able to switch the insides to those of an older model that had a cracked outer shell. But, man, was that an eye opener! I ma glad you never encountered one in such a bad shape.
      Tomás

      Delete