Friday, 23 November 2012

A ramble on Newspapers


Image (2)

Image (3)

Presented above is an unedited, unwarranted, unguaranteed to be accurate, torrent of dribble from my brain. All opinions are my own and possibly uninformed.


  1. Bah! That Canberra times is nothing without Rob Messenger there!

  2. The real tragedy, from my point of view, is that someone with your talent won't get the chance to work in a "real" newspaper, simply because no such thing will exist in a year of two. One hundred and sixty years of Australian print newspaper tradition is being killed off. You will see in a post or two on my blog how I got my start, as I reflect on the Lettera 22. It's a real shame others, such as yourself, won't get the chance to share that experience.
    Our journalism tradition embraces Henry Lawson, who got his start with The Bulletin. Garry Linnell was at the helm when The Bulletin hit the rocks. Now Garry Linnell is at the helm driving Fairfax to the rocks. His latest decision? To ban use of the words "today", "tomorrow" and "yesterday" from The Canberra Times. All because the internet dictates. The implication is that morons read the CT online and can't work out when "today" is, "tomorrow" will be and "yesterday" was. These are pitiful days indeed. You're probably better off being denied a future in this once proud profession, one which treated subscribers and readers with respect.
    A letter writer commented on a column in this week's CT: "Fatuous style meets emetic content!" How true. How sadly true.

    1. Do you think, Robert, that if the large news corporations bite the dust and small independent news websites rise up there'd be a better a chance of having decent "journalism" once again? Or perhaps if small independent newspapers, with smaller circulations, run off on small presses, published and owned by the editor could once again pull journalism out of the gutter.
      From my point of view as a reader it looks like the only way is to remove the huge profits that they're looking for across all their mastheads. That's why I think independence is the key.
      So, in the print Canberra Times, how is anything going to be relevant to anything else without "today", "tomorrow" and "yesterday"? That just sounds like stupidity to me. I'll have to be on the lookout now, when I read my free copy, to see how they manage without them.
      "Fatuous style meets emetic content" - now that is a real quality statement of the truth!

  3. Excellent opinion. I very much agree with everything you say here.