Saturday, 22 September 2012

On the Roll

 

21-9-2012 -- Continuous Roll

Composed on an Olivetti Dora

Below is a picture, with all the other junk, rubbish, and lying-on-its-side-white-out-bottles on my desk, of the roll set up:

102_1012

Please, forgive my cruddy pictures. My camera cost all of six dollars second hand, and only operates at four megapixels. The conditions aren’t good, as misplaced stuff resides, inhabitants, dictates the surface of my desk. And besides, it’s a terrible use of flash photography.

The roll holder, at the very top of the picture, not to be confused with a toiled roll holder, sits on a little shelf on my desk, usually home to my laptop. The paper then traverses the great space into the awaiting carriage of the typewriter underneath, in this case the Olivetti Dora.

At the end of the day, the set up is good, but the actual use of the roll is not.

10 comments:

  1. Nice solution, a bit more refined than my kludged-together paper holder stand thingie.

    As for using the roll, you need to ensure there's plenty of slack deployed, so the typewriter's platen can feed the paper smoothly.

    For scanning, paragraph breaks are a great help, just set your scanner's window size to a fixed width and vary the height for each section you're scanning. But I agree, less convenient for scanning than individual sheets. You could cut up the scroll into individual sheets afterwards, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cut up the roll? I think I'd find it sacrilegious - I couldn't bring myself to do it. But it can't be discounted as an option.

      Delete
  2. Well, it was worth a try.

    I have never used a roll myself, but my literary hero Harry Stephen Keeler (1890-1967) supposedly did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great camera for $6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's more, I had to spend ten dollars on batteries... It was a lucky bargain though - even at $16 total spend.

      Delete
  4. Very nice try! Remembering Jack Kerouac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's worth trying it with an Underwood Universal like Kerouac, just to be sure that it isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

      Delete
  5. This is the second post in the Typosphere I have seen on something like this, and I love the idea more and more each time I read something about it. I agree that inserting new paper helps in the process, but I just cannot get over having a roll of paper constantly feeding your typewriter fresh lines to type on. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice setup. I think the problem Kerouac had was that the paper kept becoming tilted and therefore misaligned, and in the roll of "On the Road", it can be seen every time where he had to re-align the paper.
    By the way: Would you mind turning off the Captcha/Word Verification?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As per request the devilishly annoying Captcha has been removed.

      Delete